Founded in 1998 as a non-profit association, the Community of Ariane Cities (CVA) brings together European cities – referred to as Ariane Cities – and partner industrial firms working in European space transportation.
The CVA enables them to strengthen their cooperation, keep elected representatives and citizens informed about space activities in Europe and help train future space sector professionals.
- Inform citizens about space-sector issues, the remarkable know-how of the aerospace industry and the role it plays in the Ariane Cities.
- Emphasise the economic and social implications of the European launchers programmes and the technological progress they bring about.
- Communicate the importance of Europe having independent access to space.
- Facilitate long-term cooperation between Ariane Cities, firms, space agencies, research institutes and educational bodies.
- Offer programmes of a technical, cultural and educational nature.
- Promote the strategic role of French Guiana and the Guiana Space Centre (CSG), Europe’s Spaceport.
Each City, or grouping of municipalities, is represented by its local or regional administration and establishes a partnership with one or more industrial firms. Every year, or every two years, a member City and its industrial partner is elected by the Council of Mayors (CoM), the CVA’s decision-making body, to take on the Presidency. Programmes are decided jointly by the members, during CoM meetings. Their implementation and everyday operations are the responsibility of the association’s Bureau and a General Delegation.
Programmes for Readying the Professionals and Inspiring Young People
The CVA organises programmes with the member Cities, their universities, various educational entities, authorities responsible for teaching, and industrial firms. The programmes are set up jointly and are of a technical, cultural and educational nature. They include: the Summer School, Science Holidays, Intercultural Seminars, REVA Seminar and Meetings of Headteachers and Educational Administrators.
Council of Mayors
|Les Mureaux, Toulouse, Colleferro||1999|
|Bordeaux, Guyane Française, Augsburg||2000|
|Barcelona, Guyane Française||2004|
|Les Mureaux, Paris||2011|
|Salon de Provence||2014|
|Kourou, ESA Paris||2015|
Two posters (update planned in 2016) presenting CVA Members and programmes are also available.